Saturday, January 31, 2009

Perfecto!



Scott got a pasta machine from Maria for Christmas! He helped make pasta on his mission and wanted to see if he could make it. We found a basic pasta recipe and he went to work. I've never had home made pasta before, and let me tell you it was the best pasta I have ever eaten!
I was in charge of the sauce, and I wanted a white sauce. Of course, its completely unhealthy, so I went to my cooking light magazine in hopes that I would find a healthier one, and I definitely found one. It was delicious! And it was only a little over 400 calories per serving including the pasta! Our recipe made 4 servings so we had left overs! Try this sauce recipe, it was AMAZING!

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
  • 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
  • 2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (8 ounces uncooked pasta)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley ( I didn't have this so we just sprinkled a little dry parsley at the end and it was still delicious!)
  • Cracked black pepper
**I also cut one chicken breast into slices, and grilled it in a separate pan and put it in the sauce at the end

Preparation

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley. Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

No comments: